Best of the Best,in the Best.What you posses is your property.Concrete Shell is my Study.

Thursday, September 6, 2007

Quote of the Day

The rule is, jam tomorrow and jam yesterday - but never jam today.
Lewis Carroll
(1832-1898)

Jam tomorrow or jam to-morrow is an expression for a never-fulfilled promise. The origin is Lewis Carroll's 1871 book Through the Looking Glass and What Alice Found There. The White Queen offers Alice "jam every other day" as an inducement to work for her:

-----------------------------------------
"I'm sure I'll take you with pleasure!" the Queen said. "Two pence a week, and jam every other day."
Alice couldn't help laughing, as she said, "I don't want you to hire ME - and I don't care for jam."
"It's very good jam," said the Queen.
"Well, I don't want any TO-DAY, at any rate."
"You couldn't have it if you DID want it," the Queen said. "The rule is, jam to-morrow and jam yesterday - but never jam to-day."
"It MUST come sometimes to "jam to-day,"" Alice objected.
"No, it can't," said the Queen. "It's jam every OTHER day: to-day isn't any OTHER day, you know."
"I don't understand you," said Alice. "It's dreadfully confusing!"

0 Comments: